Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dog Mushing

The awesome opportunities continue to land in my lap here in Homer, AK. I got the chance to run a dog team last week and I took it. I did not know what to expect in the least and found out that there is a lot more to it than I thought. Aside from all of the logistics of harnesses, lines, brakes, etc. there is also all of the dog training and upkeep which is extremely extensive. The pic below gives a small glimpse into the logistical side of it all. This dog kennel houses 19 dogs, each with its own house. Our hosts, Jillian and Rich, own the dogs and live in a cabin that is 15x10 ft. They chop through ice to access a stream that runs a few yards from their cabin in order to provide water for themselves and their dogs. Simply stated, they live a unique life style.
Their business name is Spitfire Kennels and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good sled dog experience.



As you can see it was a blustery day. The yard was extremely loud as we readied the team and headed out of the yard but once the dogs had settled into there steady lope it was amazingly quiet and blissful. The only noise was the panting of the dogs and the whistle of the sled rails. Dog mushing as a means of travel is extremely relaxing and therapeutic compared to its cousin, the snow machine. The two most fun parts was the acceleration as we started from a stop and the excitement emanating from the dogs. They unmistakably loved the snow and to run.
I ran a five dog team and we covered about 10 miles an hour which I was told was a speed the dogs could carry for hours depending on snow conditions and terrain. I had a great time and would recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity to try it.







2 comments:

AKbushbaby said...

Found you! Thanks for the nice words. Any time you and Jasmine get the urge for more dog frenzy, come on up!

~I said...

that looks like soooooo much fun!