Saturday, February 13, 2010



Yesterday we visited the Florida Oceanographic Society. They have cownose rays in a touch tank, a trail walk through the mangroves, and a large pond with 60 fish species. My grandma arrange through a friend to get a behind the scenes tour. We learned a lot from our tour guide about the local marine happenings. He also told us he plans to increase the fish population in the pond from 100 to 1000 by June. I will be sure to check that out next time I am in town. Here is a picture of my grandma next to one of the quarantine tanks in the back and below is a pic of the fish in that tank.

The condo community my grandparents are in is awesome! Everyone I have met has incredible life stories and continuing adventures, they are very social, fun, nice folks to be around.
After our visit to the Oceanographic Marylyn, another neighbor, invited me to join her for a kayak. It was great fun to paddle a boat for bit. Along the way I watched big fish chasing little fish, always a thrill to see.




Using the fancy features on the new camera for the first time I got this underwater close up of a cow-nose ray. Kinda cute wouldn't you say.













My grandparents live on Hutchingston Island which is one of the barrier islands. Their condo is right on the inland waterway. Every evening around 5pm the neighborhood heron comes in front of their porch for cocktail hour. His name is Hank and he does not get any cocktails. Instead he gets fish fillets caught by Bob from the adjoining condo. It is a lovely way to wrap up the day, sipping wine (or scotch) watching the sunset, and Hank. After the sun has set Hank squaks goodbye and heads to his roost until the next evening.


I get on the plane late this evening to Santiago. I will be on the boat headed even further south on the 16th if all goes smoothly. They have had a few technical troubles this field season that have put them a little off schedule. So keep your fingers crossed for smooth sailing and ocean sampling.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: